216 Broad Street I New London, CT 06320

Fax: 860-448-4885

860-448-4882

CO Poisoning

Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless toxic gas.  It is created by the incomplete combustion of fossil fuels such as gas, oil, wood, and coal.   CO accumulates as a result of poor installation, maintenance, or ventilation of oil burners, gas fires, water heaters, or other fuel appliances in the home.  CO poisoning causes there to be a decreased level of oxygen in the body and can lead to disrupted function of the heart, brain, and other vital organs of the body.  To prevent CO exposure:

  • Have your heating system, water heater, and any other gas, oil, or coal burning appliances serviced by a qualified technician every year.
  • Install a battery-operated CO detector in your home and check or replace the battery when you change the time on your clocks each spring and fall.  If the detector sounds, leave your home immediately and call 911.
  • Seek prompt medical attention if you suspect CO poisoning and are feeling dizzy, light-headed, or nauseous.
  • Don't run a car or truck inside a garage that is attached to your house, even if you leave the garage door open.
  • Don't use a generator inside your house!

Helpful Resources

buy generic synthroid cialis australia brisbane